Saturday, May 14, 2011

Alaska Day 1

So the flight to Alaska was long and I was tired and didn't sleep. We flew right over downtown Seattle as well as parts of Canada, which from the air is SPECTACULAR! There are so many mountains and lakes! So beautiful. When we were near landing I had to turn my camera and phone off and just at that point we started flying over glaciers!!! I was so mad. They were amazing! There was a huge one that was beginning to melt at the bottom and the lake was a milky blue!

So we landed and I got my bag. On the way to my bus a guy asked me for directions. I told him it was my first time in Anchorage and he offered to give me a tour. I politely declined. He was probably into human sex trafficking. Im such a prime target ;)

The bus ride was 6 hours. The views were spectacular! I wish I had a professional camera and a day to just drive the path again and take pictures. I sat by a nice guy from Georgia (US) and we talked a little. There were Russians on every side of me and they talk really loud! I got an hour of sleep in on the bus which was much needed since I had been up since 8am the day before.

We finally arrived at Homestead. I got my bags and room key and put my stuff away. I feel like I should have brought more stuff! I had dinner and met a nice lady who turned out to be a recently baptized member! She was glad to have found someone to walk with her to church. After dinner I went to my room and my roomie was there. Her name is Mallory and she is from Illinois. She works at the same place I do. Shes like me:sports, music..... Hopefully these 4 months will work well between us.

Currently it is 1045pm and it is still sunny out! REDICULOUS!!!!!! Well, I guess thats why its called Land of the Midnight Sun...

Well I'm super tired and have training early in the morning :) Keep reading!

7 comments:

  1. He asked you for directions and then offered you a tour...? So did he or didn't he know where anything was? Definitely trafficking. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I am behind the times... but why are you in Alaska?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, ya Dani. He was just wanting to know if I knew when a bus was coming around(probably the one that pics up un-suspecting girls).

    Beth(sorry, but which Beth? I know a few...) I am in Alaska working at a Wilderness Lodge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dougherty. And no freakin way! That is super cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beth: Ya! Its super cool here! The views are amazing and I can't wait for a day off so I can go hiking! You would love it I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Psh! I am already in love and moving there in a year hahaha

    ReplyDelete