Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day 2

Oh, glorious Sunday!

Today was an awesome day in AK. I went to bed and woke up to sun. I'm not quite sure if the sun even set. I guess thats what 5 hours of night gets you. Anyways, I woke up at 7 and got breakfast with my roommate Mallory. They feed us pretty well here. After breakfast, we got on the bus to go up to the lodge to have our first day of training.

The first part of training consisted of 3 hours of sitting and learning about customer service skills. I swear, people these days don't know basic common sense when it comes to customer service; its really not that hard. One of the managers made a comment about winning a Mercedes Benz and I got excited but I guess it was a joke. DANG! That would have been cool! During the first part of training we went into groups and some of my group members were from Oregon. A guy from OC, a girl from Eugene and a hot guy from Portland. I found out he was in marching band :)

After that we had lunch. It was alright. On the way to the next part of training I walked past a guy in a BUY-I shirt and realized I wasn't alone! YAY! Next part of training was safety stuff. State Troopers came in and talked about rules and laws and such. It was a long session. We then went on a tour of the grounds. It was so windy and cold! But, the view was amazing! The clouds had been blown away and we could see many snow covered peaks across the river!

After that we got back on the bus. Dinner was at 6, but I was missing church (which starts at 5). So I skipped dinner and went to church! My dinner of Chex-Mix and Costco Fruit Snacks later was a great dinner :) My branch is about 30 people. They meet in a room with dividers for Sunday School, they put the dividers up for RS/PH and then open it up and redecorate for Sacrament Meeting. Normally church starts at 11 but so us noobs that may work on Sunday, they change the time to 5. So nice. Bless their hearts lol... The branch is so nice and cute! They boys all sit with arms folded and quiet. There is only 1 YW so she meets with RS. The have a piano but no player so they use the stereo and CDs instead. The bishop was excited to learn that 3 of the new girls(me included) in the ward played piano! haha

My roomie just came in and asked how church was. I'm glad I went. I met a lot of great people and wasn't bored at church. I listened to every talk and even participated in conversation.

Hopefully training will go good again tomorrow. I actually get to meet the people in charge of the Lynx Creek Pizza place I work in. I hope and pray that they will let me have Sundays off because I love this branch already and I feel better going to this one that I have going to other wards for the first time! I feel welcome here, maybe even home. Not totally sure at this point.

I am off to bed at 11pm, with YES sunlight still out... so weird!

No comments:

Post a Comment