Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 3

Waking up before my 7am alarm coughing is no fun! My throat hurts and my nose kept running all day! '

So today was the first day of real training, or at least I was told it would be. On the way to the Lodge our bus had to stop because a moose was walking in the middle of the road. Apparently it is a federal offence of some kind to hit a moose. Weird! So we get to the lodge and we all head to our places of employment: mine being Lynx Creek Pizza. We go inside for about 5 minutes and they tell us we can't be in there yet because they have more repairs to do! They say our first day in there will be the day the lodge opens :/ Oh well.

So we go to another building for training. We end up cleaning the whole restaurant and then serving lunch to the whole staff of the Lodge(like 500 people). Afterwards we had more training, so we cleaned up the messes from lunch and then were done. I was really disappointed that we had no training today. I mean the lodge opens in just a few days time and we don't know anything. We could have gone over the menus or something. My boss is letting me have Sundays off so I can go to church which is cool but he is super lax.

Example: There was a guy whose first year was last year and he came back this year. While all of us were cleaning and serving and cleaning again, he had gone across the street and got ice cream and then just strolled around the Lodge's 15 acres. When he came back he was telling us that if there were dishes at work, he or the managers would ask us to do them. Hes not management of any kind! Nobody likes him now!

I also found out today that all servers tips get put into a bowl and split at the end of the week. I get that it's fair that way, but if I am an amazing server and I get a huge tip I shouldn't have to share with someone who was far less than stellar. But tips are tips so I won't complain too much. So when we got released, a few of us employees went to the main lodge and sat around for a few hours. At 5 I had TAPS training(serving alcohol permits) and it was a waste of time! We were supposed to get back to the Homestead by 645 but didn't get back until almost 8. I missed FHE/Institute tonight because we got back so late. I was bummed because the guy who gave us a ride yesterday to church (Kody) offered me a ride again. Hopefully I'll be able to go next week. Thankfully, the kitchen stayed open late so we could get dinner!

After dinner I was getting ready for bed and went to go brush my teeth. As I was brushing, a guy walked past the bathroom and asked where the boys room was on that floor. Well, there isn't one since floors are split up by gender. He was about to pee his pants so another girl and I said he could come in quickly and use the first stall to pee. In the time it took him to pee and wash his hands, the security guards had seen him in the security cameras and came upstairs. He got in trouble. Apparently that sort of thing is a terminable offense!! Ridiculous! I know guys don't belong in the girls bathroom, but I still thought it was ridiculous! He didn't look at anything but the toilet and I'm pretty sure he is gay... Oh well.

I've also made a lot more friends today and have become closer to the ones I already have. Mallory and I are getting closer as well as Angela(the new convert) and I. I met girls named Megan, Casey and Sarah and I met guys named Donny, Q(the bathroom guy), Adrian, Dan(whom Mallory and I call 'Blue'), Tony and Lenny(i think that was his name).  I got to know my Mallory on a more personal level. I had just gotten of the phone with my dad and she said that it sounded like my dad and I had a great relationship and reminded her of her and her dad. She told me all about how he died about 7 months ago and it was hard on her. She told me about some of the terrible things in her life and it makes me thankful to my Heavenly Father for giving me such a wonderful family and life!

I talked to my nephew Ethan today on the phone too and I told him I was in Alaska and he had wanted to come with me. When I told him where I was he said 'Ya, but I'm not with you!' It would have been cool for him to come, but for a vacation, not work.

Lots of rambling and details that I write for me so I can look at it in the future and smile. Hope you weren't too bored with another super long post :)

1 comment:

  1. Why was he even on your floor looking for bathrooms anyway? Are there no bathrooms on the guy's floor or did he realize half way down the elevator/stairs that he had to go right that second and couldn't wait five minutes?? Sounds like a lame excuse to pee on the girl's floor. :P

    ReplyDelete